These Real Photos Have Very Disturbing Backstories


From a real photo discovered on a lost man’s camera to a chilling photo of the Amityville children, we take a look at these real photos that have very disturbing backstories.

6. Smiling Serial Killer

The man in this photo with the charismatic smile and dish cloth over his shoulder was once described as ‘the very definition of heartless evil.’ It is none other than notorious serial killer, Ted Bundy.

Bundy was jailed for the first time in 1975 for aggravated kidnapping and attempted criminal assault. He then became a suspect in several unsolved homicides in multiple states. While facing murder charges in Colorado, Bundy managed to escape, committing three more murders before he was caught again in Florida in 1978.

Bundy eventually confessed to committing 30 homicides between 1974 and 1978, shortly before his execution on 24th January, 1989.

Despite the confession, many think that his victim count was probably a lot higher. Some even suggesting that it may have actually been in excess of one hundred.

The woman also pictured in the photo is believed to have been a neighbor of Bundy’s who at the time, would have had no idea how close she had actually come to such a cold blooded killer.

5. Criminals Escape Haunted House

This photo supposedly shows the footprints of criminals who made a hasty escape from a haunted house.

The person who posted the picture online claims that their father received a phone call from a man named Arthur who lived next to the family’s Summer house. Arthur said that during the night, he had seen two people lurking around the house but they had ran off before he had a chance to investigate.

In the morning, he found two sets of footprints leading to a broken window. He decided to enter the house to take a closer look. Inside there were even more footprints. Some of which lead to another broken window indicating that whoever was in the house had left very suddenly.

Some time later, the poster’s father and brother went to the house to see if anything had been stolen. Once inside, they saw that the footprints went in two separate directions. One set lead to where the family kept some old silverware while the others lead to a two hundred year old fiddle that was hanging on the wall.

The tracks seemed to meet in the middle of the living room where the silverware and fiddle were found lying on the floor. Then, just as Arthur had suggested, the footprints lead to a different window where the burglars had made a hasty exit.

About two weeks later, the family was contacted by two men who claimed to have been plagued by terrible nightmares ever since they had broken into the old house. They pleaded for forgiveness and offered to pay for any damages that they had caused.

While the family never found out exactly what had scared the men into leaving the house so quickly, they had always suspected that the house was haunted.

After the break in, the house was sold twice. Each time the new owners complained of strange happenings. Disembodied voices, cold spots and objects seemingly moving on their own.

Thinking that the resident spirits were not happy with the new owners, the poster’s uncle decided to buy the house back and it is now once again, in the possession of the family.

4. Lost in the Wilderness

In April, 1992, Chris McCandless hitchhiked his way to the small town of Healy, Alaska. Then, with little equipment or food, he began a trek along an old mining road known as the Stampede Trail.

It was McCandless’ dream to disappear into the wilderness and live simply off the land, however it wasn’t long before things started to turn bad. In September, just six months after he started his adventure, a hunter found his body in an abandoned bus that was used as a shelter along the rugged and isolated trail.

This photo, which seemingly shows McCandless in good spirits was found undeveloped on his camera and is one of the last known photographs of the adventurer.

Along with several pictures, a journal was discovered that detailed McCandless’ time in the wilderness. In July, he mentioned that he tried heading back to civilization but was forced to abandon his plans as the Teklanika River had swollen, blocking his only escape route. On the 30th July, his journal entry read ‘EXTREMELY WEAK. FAULT OF POT[ATO] SEED. MUCH TROUBLE JUST TO STAND UP. STARVING. GREAT JEOPARDY.

While most believe that McCandless simply starved to death, some have suggested that poisoning from local plants may have contributed to his demise.

His final journal entry was made on day 107. It simply read ‘Beautiful Blue Berries.’ After that, the next six entries contained no words, only slashes.

3. The Moors Murders

The woman seen in this photo out enjoying the fresh air on a sunny afternoon is actually Myra Hindley, one of England’s most notorious serial killers.

The photo was taken by her partner, Ian Brady in the area where the pair had buried several of their victims. The terrible crimes committed by Myra Hindley and Ian Brady came to be known as the Moors Murders.

Hindley met Brady while working at a chemical distribution company. The two began dating and it wasn’t long before they started discussing how they could commit the perfect murder.

In total, they took the lives of five children. All aged between ten and seventeen. The pair was eventually arrested after Hindley’s brother-in-law witnessed their final murder and reported it to the police.

Hindley, who was described by the press as ‘the most evil woman in Britain’ was never released from jail despite appealing her life sentence several times. She died on 15th November, 2002. Brady was declared criminally insane and confined to a high security hospital were he died on 15th May 2017.

2. The DeFeo Children

This photo of John, Allison, Marc, Dawn and Ronald Jr. DeFeo, appears to show nothing unusual at first. Just a happy family posing for the camera.

However, the truth is that this picture hides a very dark secret.

At around 6:30 pm on Wednesday, 13th November, 1974, Ronald Jr. burst into a local bar screaming ‘You got to help me! I think my mother and father are shot!’

A small group quickly rushed to the DeFeo’s residence where they found that his parents were indeed dead. The police were called and upon arriving they discovered that the remaining four DeFeo children were also deceased.

Ronald Jr. claimed that his family had been killed by a mob hit-man so the police decided to take him into custody for his own protection. However, they soon discovered inconsistencies with DeFeo’s story and the following day he confessed to the killings. DeFeo was eventually convicted of six accounts of second-degree murder.

These terrifying events formed the prelude for one of the most well known haunting cases in American history – The Amityville Horror.

In December, 1975, George and Kathy Lutz bought the DeFeo house which was located at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York. Despite being warned by the agent of what had happened in the house, they couldn’t resist as it was just $80,000. It had five bedrooms, a swimming pool and even a boathouse that was located on a canal. The couple and their three children soon moved in with much of the DeFeo’s furniture still inside.

The book, the Amityville Horror which supposedly tells the true story of the Lutz’s, describes how a family friend insisted that they have the house blessed before they moved in. George organized a priest to perform the ceremony and he arrived just as the family were unpacking their belongings. As the priest flicked the first holy water and began to pray, he heard a deep voice say ‘Get out!’ He left the house and didn’t tell the Lutz’s what had happened.

During their stay, the Lutz’s allegedly experienced many terrifying things. Soon after moving in, their five year old daughter Missy, began talking to an imaginary friend – a demonic, pig-like creature with glowing red eyes named ‘Jodie’.

In the early morning of Christmas Day 1975, George went to check on the boathouse. On his way back to the house, he looked up and saw Missy at her bedroom window. Standing behind her was Jodie, her imaginary friend. George ran upstairs only to find Missy fast asleep as her empty rocking chair slowly rocked back and forth. A few days later, the family discovered cloven hoof prints in the snow outside the house.

On another occasion, Kathy was said to have woken with red welts on her chest while levitating 2 feet in the air. She also started having vivid nightmares about the murders and the children all began to sleep on their stomachs just as the murdered DeFeo children had been found.

The Lutz’s final night in the house was in January 1976, just 28 days after they had moved in. During a final attempt to bless the house themselves, the family described what happened to them as ‘too frightening!’ and declined to give an account of what actually occurred that night.

However the story gets even creepier. This chilling photo was allegedly taken on the second floor landing of the Amityville house in 1976. Gene Campbell, a photographer who was working alongside famed paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, had set up an automatic camera that took infrared pictures.

The camera managed to capture this photo sometime during the night.

The figure seen peering through the door is believed by many to be the ghost of nine year old John DeFeo, who was murdered by his brother, Ronald Jr.

This picture of John (right) with his elder brother Marc, shows how eerily similar his appearance is to the ghost seen in the black and white photo.

In fact, George Lutz was so confident that the photo was authentic that he showed it on the Merv Griffin show in 1979.

1. The Refrigerator

This creepy photo was taken outside apartment 213, 924 North 25th Street in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was the home of the Milwaukee Monster, Jeffrey Dahmer.

Dahmer, one of America’s most notorious serial killers murdered seventeen men and boys from 1978 to 1991. He was eventually arrested after he offered a man named Tracy Edwards $100 to keep him company at his apartment. Upon entering the apartment, Edwards noted a foul odor and several boxes of hydrochloric acid on the floor. It soon became apparent to Edwards what Dahmer’s intentions were and he managed to escape through the front door after asking Dahmer if he could use the toilet.

Edwards flagged down a police car and, after explaining what had happened agreed to accompany the police back to Dahmer’s apartment.

There, the police officers found evidence of several murders and quickly detained Dahmer. This photo shows investigators removing the refrigerator from his apartment which was said to contain a human head and two human hearts.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here